If you're a business in the enterprise space and have not had to deal with mobile applications much, you are likely not alarmed much by the headline. "Sure application security is important," you're saying to yourself, "but only for those businesses that produce mobile apps." You're right in saying that the businesses who are into developing apps have a huge onus to get mobile application security right. However, that's not the complete picture. You may not realize it, but mobile apps are more pervasive than any other medium in a modern business, and it's high time you paid attention to the importance of mobile app security and why it is critical for your business.
Tips to Boost Mobile Application Security
A number of times data encryption methods are broken or vulnerable which may result in the transmission of sensitive data over the internet. All these issues can be taken care of once your mobile application security is dynamic and providing the best coverage of application assessment.
We present before you some awesome tips and a few common ways through which you can build safe and secure mobile applications for your businesses or organizations that use the online platform as its main medium:
- Write Security Code Yourself: The most vulnerable feature of any mobile application is its security code. It has the highest chances of being accessed by hackers. Hence, it becomes extremely important on your part to write secure and dynamic code for your applications. Several pieces of research have reported that around 11.6 million devices are prone to attacks because of malicious code issues. Hence, the best practice that needs to be applied here is to develop a high-quality security code that ensures that your apps are under no threats.
- Encrypt the Given Data: Encryption is the process through which information in the form of data is converted into a secret code that can only be read by certain people. Encryption consists of an algorithm to scramble and then decrypt the given data to make it readable. This is one of the most effective ways to ensure that data is not used in a malicious manner.
- Use Libraries with Caution: There are certain times when third-party libraries are required by the mobile app code for the code building process. Since most of the third-party libraries are not secure, you must not rely on them for app-building. Try testing the code of the libraries first so that you can crash the flaws in the system without having to use malicious codes.
- Use Authorized APIs: You should always keep in mind that authorized APIs in your app code will keep the hackers at bay and prevent them from using your sensitive information. Since catches of authorization information can be used by attackers to gain access and authentication on the entire system of yours, so it is highly recommended by experts to have a central authority for the entire API in order to gain maximum security in the system of mobile application development.
- Depend on High-Level Authentication: The most significant part of mobile application security is the authentication mechanism. Weak authentication processes can make your mobile apps vulnerable and prone to malicious security threats. For a developer, user authentication forms one of the most important parts of managing the security mechanism. Hence, you are required to use a strong password that cannot be broken by hackers easily and the security of applications stays intact.
I hope we finally have your attention towards mobile application security!
"Hmmm. So how do I go about plugging the holes?" you now ask. It's a good question, but unfortunately, it doesn't admit a straightforward answer. Mobile application security is a big undertaking in itself, and we urge you to explore this blog to get to know what you can do at an initial level. You can, however, start with this: Mobile Application Security – 5 Critical Do’s and Don’ts
As they say, awareness is the first step to change. Welcome to the land of mobile application security, and may your apps be always rock-solid!